Apr 8, 2008

My Name is Red

Gradually my blog has started to look like more of a book review section rather than forum of any serious discussion (me being serious hardly happens actually) nevertheless if I am impressed by a book than I am inspired to write about it.”My name is Red” by Orhan Pamuk.I picked it up thinking that hopefully Nobel prize for Literature would be better than Booker prize winners at least. To tell you the truth it doesn’t disappoint at all.Its an amazing book. I don’t like the books which don’t compel reader to think and encourage more dumbness in the world. This book not just compel but keep reminding what knowledge base the reader is up against. Its challenging on every page coz it forces one to think and to determine the course of the story. Wonderful thing is all this is conveyed not by any self help philosophy or any revolutionary ideology. Its a simple murder mystery based on Ottoman Empire of late 16th century. But then that’s where the readers comfort zone ends.

The style of narration is amazing and exhaust the reader in 30-40 pages only considering I belong to volume reader tribe.( m not boasting ppl I had finished Shantaram in 7 days J) it was a revelation.

So if at all any one reading the blog and trust my reco on books. It is the book to go for.

1 comments:

hikmaah said...

i have started reading the Kite runner..... thanx AJ,i guess ebay/ amazon is the next stop...