Apr 3, 2009

The Splendid(er), Me & the Murphy`s(Law)


“Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.”
Some drunk Murphy blabbered those golden words in his drunken state. May world be damned!! He may have fallen into open Mumbai manhole or may be fallen off from a running local train. But he managed to curse the world in a manner only he could. I can curse him and my stars. But with high smog Stars I am unable to see and Murphy might not be good to look at while cursing.
Considering my snapshot memory and photographic experiences there’s never a dearth of things that can go wrong. A quick recap will explain to you my genuine desperation and concern.
Last weekend I shifted into a new House.(Its actually a old house in an old building in an old colony and my friend is already been living there from past 1 year …but for my sake we`ll still call it the new house)
Monday: Experienced the new side of the city. Traffic n people. Though I am not new to that but this time it seemed endless and at 12 KMs away from workplace I had no idea how many hours it would take. God help the colleague who gave me a ride to office and we both reached 3 min later then the stipulated time. While going back waited for the bus for 30mins. And eventually reached back home in 1 hr 30 minutes for 12 Km.
Tuesday: With such an adventure yesterday the floodgates of my nose opened and throat clogged. So preferred to stay at home. Find out about the borrowed bike. Realized it’s a better jugad than waiting till eternity and wasting the most exciting years of adolescence at a bus stop for the super crowded BEST.
Wednesday: (Here comes the borrowed Splendor). So I told myself “it’s a Wednesday” and blasted start the 1964 Aston Martin aka Splendor full 125cc of pure testosterone since 2003.by Km no. 5 Had a flat tyre.The day passed peacefully  in office. While reaching back had a small quarrel with the “jai Maharashtra” autowala. Dilly-dollied on the uneven gravel of powai vihar road and somehow reached home in 1 piece.
Thursday : It’s a new day ..Its a new start ..from Old singer shre shre Celine dion running in my head I decided to retake the plunge. This time at km no. 9. Petrol died. I mean god`s greatest machine HH Splendor couldn’t make it to 36KM in a liter L.so I pushed, scuffed, grumped and carried it around for 3 kms and somehow reached office. Deep fried in the summer sun this was an over bright morning from all standards. And ain’t over yet. Somewhere in a deep hidden corner it was written no right turn. next to that hidden corner was there sitting camouflaged terrorist bashing Mumbai police and me like a rabbit took the bait. So he embarrassed me with the UP no. of my bike., And ethics of safe driving. We cleared the ethics issue with transfer of some green paper from my wallet to his polyester underpants later. No its nt over yet. In barney`s lines..wait for it wait for it...and keep waiting as the jam on the flyover was at least 2 Kms long making it a  1.30 hrs horse ride for a 12 kms.
Now I can confidently say been there had that.
And we aren’t done with the week yet !!

3 comments:

Vishal Shah said...

haahahahahahaha........ experience the real Mumbai life dude.... it is tough on roads, cars, bikes, trains, any mode of transport u name.......

Anonymous said...

Thank god Chennai traffic isn't that bad yet. We have it pretty good in fact.And as for mofo Murphy, I curse him almost everyday as well.

Unknown said...

I ll make sure that I don't get a job in Mumbai..! I won't be able to survive this kind of life for more than two days..God bless you..!