Sep 10, 2008

Wonder Years!!!

I am not really Nostalgic types and rather progressive. So I get a little uncomfortable at the alumni meets. Then there are fears about who is doing what and I am stuck like a loser cribbing and bored at the job. There are expected flashes of money. Signs of indulgence and materialistic comparisons in the spending race. It can very easily get phony and pretentious. Considering we are talking about SRCC alumnus there’s is no limit at which the abundance can go.

So I had my reservations when I got the Invit. List of lost people. Some I wish to see but most I didn’t wish to compare. So finally I went with my apprehensions and enthusiasm restricted.

The room was full of formally dressed people adorned with tie`s and flashy suits and me in jeans and boots. But I guess that is where all the oddity ended. The moment I saw the people from college with whom I had stayed day and night for years. All those memories came back flashing. It just felt so close and in near past as if nothing has really changed. Nobody is judging me by my clothes, Or the intelligent conversations, Or the zeroes on the paycheck, Or unpronounceable names of the companies, Or beer guzzling or just about anything.

It was more to the implicit cord attaching all and all what matters is from where you belong. Everybody has its destiny and sooner or later one will get there. This bond is special because it’s with the people who have seen you starting the journey. Who have been with you in thick and thin during the hit and trial process of growing up.

They have been with you when you were hungry at 3 am in Delhi winters. They were with you when you went to see every shitty movie on Friday night. They were there always ...be it fresher’s, elections, cross roads and sometime just random fake fights outside the Audi to scare people. Useless conversations and bakar sessions with round-off timing clause. It was the wonder years which you wish never pass. Sometimes professional colleges cannot be like this and B-School doesn’t almost ever teach to be humble.

It was oh so music to the ears listening to Hostel Anthems and Songs. Being loud and rowdy with friends. Nonchalant dancing at public places even if for that small moment but to be able to flaunt “I care a fuq to the world” attitude. Felt years younger again Instantly.

PS: For all the unknown

Sri Ram College of Commerce has been given Heritage Status and is the site for the Delhi Commonwealth Games 2010.

1 comments:

Anjana said...

well well...reading your blog i also felt a bit nostalgic, but i dont agree with the concept of "wonder years"...i agree wid u that the ppl who were wid us when v were starting the journey of our life and during the hit and trial process of growing up are the ones we connect to immidiately no matter where life has taken each of us. be happy dat u met them, but dont start thinking much bout them, or those days...coz the fact is that they will never b back.
And in fact if u think about it, it is actually in our own hands to make our present as good as our past (in case it is not already as good or better). We, as persons tend to change and say that time has changed...and blame it to the age at times, like we are not "dat" young anymore...or at times the work pressure or even professionalism(?????)...tell me, what stops us to have that care free attitude now...other than v ourselves!!! There is nothing like "Wonder Years"...it is actually a "Wonderful Life". Just we need to be geared up for it all the time, as we used to be in coll. days....:)..Its good to be happy bout the nice times we had earlier in our life...but its the best to be content in our present (if u can....) and not wish that the wonder years never pass....dats my views...feel free to differ.